Skip to main content

Today marks a great day to celebrate



Today is November 15, 2012.  One year ago today, I was boarding a plane to come to America.  I had served in Zambia for 11 months and was heading home for the holidays.  I remember the feelings that were rushing through me.  I remember hardly being able to contain the excitement that was bursting out of me.  It's neat reflecting on what the Lord has done in my life over the past 12 months.  What a rush. So much has happened in my life, spiritually and emotionally!  I have experienced radical faith that will never cease.  I have experienced life in the quick and vast expansion of the ministry.  I have experienced death in the loss of a sweet child.  I have seen miracles happen when Zambian children AND American families have been transformed right before my eyes! I have literally watched an education department double in size and in quality. I have developed deep friendships in the staff over here.   

I have had the privilege of watching a 31 year old woman give her all to education.  I've seen her NEVER give up, even after hundreds of teacher interviews and so few hires.  I've watched her be away from family in some of the most difficult times in their life.  I've watched her become the face of Education successfully.  This girl has inspired me, encouraged, and stood beside me when everything else seemed like it was falling apart.  I've become a better employee, a better friend, and a better person because of who she is. I've watched her love me like a sister--even though we share a bathroom, kitchen, dining room, living room, and office together. :)

I have had the privilege of watching a 46 year old wife and mom lay down the life she led in America to come over and serve for 10 months without her husband.  I've watched this woman pour EVERYTHING she has into Zambian woman and children--teaching them what a "family" looks like.  

I have had the privilege of serving under my boss, a 37 year old man who has literally given his heart not only to the ministry, but to his staff, passionately.  He works harder than anyone I know.  I have watched him show appreciation to his staff.  I've watched him give his full time and energy to making sure that Zambian children are receiving the blessings they deserve.  I've watched him, after a long long long day at work, pull into his driveway and jump out of his car only to scoop up his sweet daughters, who run to him shouting, "DADDY's HOME!!!"

I have had the privilege of watching a 37 year old woman serve her family each and every day as her husband keeps the entire ministry moving forward.  I have watched the sacrifice she makes being away from her children's grandparents and friends.  I've watched her give her heart to her children as she develops a life in Africa that they can find joy in--horseback riding, sleepovers with friends, movies on the projectors, campouts, and swim time.  

I have had the privilege of serving beside my best friend.  A 26 year old woman with a heart of gold--one that literally beats for the children of Zambia.  I've watched her transition into Zambia after such a long wait.  I've watched her be on her knees for me and my son.  I've watched her stand firm in delivering to the children of Zambia what they deserve.  I've watched her in the beginning stages of implementing strategies and key items that will make this ministry a better ministry.  I see the Lord working so intensely in her life and it's an amazing place to be in.

I have had the privilege of watching a 25 year old man leave his friends and family to stand beside Zambian men training them how to construct buildings properly.  The training and oversight he was able to give those men is something they would have never received in their lifetime.  I've also watched him sit with Zambian boys listening and counseling them on the causes and effects of bullying.  I've seen the joy that comes from those same Zambian boys when he ends his busy work day and plays soccer with them.

I have had the privilege of watching another 25 year old man serve in one of the more difficult areas of the ministry.  I've watched this guy transform into a deeply servant-minded man. I've watched him leave what he's doing to drive an hour and a half in traffic just to get assets to a school that we need.  I've seen him sit on the porch of a house sharing his heart for these kids.  I've watched him tear up at the stories that the children at the Tree of Life share.  I've seen him give everything he has to making our most popular program run more smoothly.

I have had the privilege of watching a new family lay their life down for the work God has for them here in Zambia.  The husband, a 27 year old man, moving over to launch programs that have drastically changed our ministry for the better.  I've seen him take his sweet baby girl for a walk around the complex just to have some father/daughter time.  I've seen him plan and orchestrate events that have ultimately provided a month's worth of Zambia's staple food to 3,100 orphaned and vulnerable children.  I've seen him sit through hours of meeting in order to make his programs run more efficiently for the ministry.

I've seen his wife, a 29 year old woman, serve his husband, her sweet daughter, and the other staff members in the complex.  I've seen this woman sacrifice her time and energy to making sure 300 table cloths are washed, dried, and ready for the next big week of camp.  I've seen her often pushing her sweet daughter in the wagon teaching her about what she's seeing through those darling eyes.  I've seen her find her niche in Zambia--meet new friends, plan to lead a bible study, serve those she know with all her heart. 

Not only have I had the privilege of serving beside these individuals, but I've also watched how much this ministry has grown in one year.  I've love to share this with you so that YOU can praise the Lord, our creator, for the works he has accomplished here.

November 15, 2011

  • 4 American staff
  • 6 Private Schools
  • 1 Residential Home for 30 children
  • 10 Tree of Life homes for about 135 children
  • 3,000 sponsored children receiving education
  • 25 teachers


November 15, 2012

  • 8 American staff
  • 15 Private schools
  • 2 Residential Homes for 95 children
  •  22 Tree of Life homes for 276 children
  • 5,100 sponsored children receiving education
  • 48 teachers (and counting)


What an amazing God we serve. I can't wait to see what November 15, 2013 will look like. 

Oh Lord, we give you all the honor and praise for the things you've accomplished through your people in Zambia.  We serve you with a willing and obedient heart!  You, oh Savior, deserve ALL the glory.
"A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling."  Psalm 68:5


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Behold, I will send you Elijah...

I have an amazing story to tell you about a little boy. He turned 4 years old this week. He is a sweet, smart, and precious boy who is already displaying the Lord's glory. When he was about a year and 6 months old, he was admitted into the hospital because of malnutrition and abandonment.   An  orphanage stepped in to care for him when no one else could. Overtime, all his friends and the housemothers knew him as a joyful boy—even though his circumstances did not seem joyful.   Although he lived in an orphanage and was taken care of, he didn't have the one-on-one parenting, love, and support he should have had by his birth parents.   He stayed in the orphanage for almost 2 years. During this time, not one family member visited him. I had the pleasure of meeting this sweet boy when I visited an orphanage one weekend in January. He was the happiest one of them all.   He ran and played with a huge smile on his face.   His personality and demeanor was intriguing. E

Moving to Africa

Well, I wrote up this great informational blog last night, and wouldn't you know... not only did it not post, but it didn't even save. Sooo heres a recap: Yesterday I landed safe and sound with the Hugheys around 7. The airport wait was cramped, hot, humid, and looong, but we made it. First you have to go through immigration, which took about 40 minutes, then we got all of our bags, another 15 minutes, then we waited for customs to check everything we were carrying into Zambia, another 25 minutes. The Zambians shooed me along, but the Hugheys got stuck at baggage check. Unfortunately, with the 6 of them, they had too many bags to carry in. After about thirty more minutes, Erin (the mom) walked out of the airport with some unfortunate news. Every one of their trunks had to stay at the airport where they were opened, searched, and each item counted...for every single one. (we're talking about twenty to twenty five boxes... crazy. But, our amazing Zambian senior staff s

A Humbled Explorer

Today was an incredible day for me. I worked with the Education Department Head here in Zambia as we traveled around to different LCA's bringing them supplies. Because it's the new school year, the cleaning supplies were running out, so we went to several communities--Chilenje, Mtendere, and Kalingalinga--to get cleaning rags, detergent, toilet tissue, wax for the floors, and some soap. Just for your knowledge, it takes a while to get places in Lusaka. First of all, the roads are congested with traffic. Secondly, all the roads aren't paved, especially in the communities, so you are dodging pot holes and people to get down the road. Needless to say, it took a while for us to collect the supplies and drive out to the 3 LCA's we visited. Along the way, I got to know my new coworker a little better. One question I asked him was: did you know you would ever work for an organization like Family Legacy? He answered no and went on to say that after grade 12 he went in