Skip to main content

Behold, I will send you Elijah...


I have an amazing story to tell you about a little boy. He turned 4 years old this week. He is a sweet, smart, and precious boy who is already displaying the Lord's glory.

When he was about a year and 6 months old, he was admitted into the hospital because of malnutrition and abandonment.  An orphanage stepped in to care for him when no one else could. Overtime, all his friends and the housemothers knew him as a joyful boy—even though his circumstances did not seem joyful.  Although he lived in an orphanage and was taken care of, he didn't have the one-on-one parenting, love, and support he should have had by his birth parents.  He stayed in the orphanage for almost 2 years. During this time, not one family member visited him.

I had the pleasure of meeting this sweet boy when I visited an orphanage one weekend in January. He was the happiest one of them all.  He ran and played with a huge smile on his face.  His personality and demeanor was intriguing. Even his house moms testified to his happy nature.  Although this little boy spent almost 4 years of his life without a mom and dad who truly cared for his well being, his Heavenly Father never left him.  His Heavenly Father already had a plan for him, and boy is it an amazing plan.  His Father not only has never forsaken him, but he has already destined an earthly mother to step in and care with ALL of her heart for him.

And that mother is me.


The Lord started speaking to me about becoming a mom in November of 2011.  I had 2 dreams about a little boy, I didn’t know who he was, but I knew that I was his mom.  I remember waking up both times and feeling a weight from the Lord. After my second dream, I asked the Lord to clarify if the dream was from him. In the next 3 days, I was without a doubt certain that he was calling me to motherhood--to adopt a little boy.  Now, you can only imagine the thoughts running through my mind.  I'm single. I live in Africa.  I work to educate orphans, not take on full care for them. How am I going to do this alone? When will I know that I've found my son? Is he already born? But the Lord is faithful.  Over time, he answered different parts of my anxiety and worry in a gentle way.  He even gave me a name to pray over: Elijah. Although I was staying obedient and waiting patiently, I went through many doubts of whether this is actually what the Lord was calling me to do.




On May 15th, I saw this picture of the sweet boy from the orphanage I visited in January.  When I looked at the picture, the Lord said, “Megan, this is what Elijah looks like.”  I was confused, because I wasn’t sure if the Lord was actually telling me that my Elijah will look similar or if this boy was actually Elijah.  I didn't say anything to anyone yet, but a few hours later, my roommate brought her computer to me with that exact same picture and said the exact same phrase, "Megs, this is what Elijah looks like." That’s when I felt this could possibly be my son.

The next day, I went to visit him. The Lord instantly connected my heart to my son.  He IS the boy I’ve been praying for. When I saw him, held him, played with him, and looked in his eye, I knew that it was my Elijah. Although that was not his birth name, the Lord placed it on my heart to change it too Elijah.  I’m very excited and humbled that the Lord has chosen me step in and care for this sweet boy!





The process of adoption in Zambia is a long and hard road.  It’s not easy.  There are many steps and tiny details that are not laid out specifically on paper.  This makes it very hard to get the right paperwork with the right documentation to finalize everything.  For example, it took me 3 months to finalize paperwork just for fostering him.  But, as I’ve said, the Lord is faithful.  He has walked ahead of me each step of the way.

On August 7th, Elijah came home with me, and yesterday my sweet son turned 4 years old.  He is such a joyful and clever boy.  He is strong, content, nervous, scared, excited, but is now being loved the way God intended for him to be loved.  He is going to be a powerful man of God—he IS anointed. He has already begun praying and speaking with authority, like a pastor would. J Although the road ahead of me is long, bendy, and bumpy at times, I know it’s the straight and narrow path the Lord is calling me too. 

I am truly blessed that the Lord would not only call me to provide a home and a family for Elijah, but, to also work for Family Legacy, a ministry who provides support and families for hundreds of orphans within their home country. As of now, I’m taking one day at a time.  I don’t know what the future holds, but I intend to stay in Zambia as long as the Lord calls us here.


Malachi 4:6 is the verse the Lord has given me for Elijah:

“Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the great and awesome day of the LORD comes.  And he will turn the hearts of fathers to their children and the hearts of children to their fathers.”


Even in the small amount of time I’ve known my son, I’ve seen this verse displayed in his life. He will be the man of God he is called to be, in Jesus’ name.
Eli's Coming Home!!

Wrapped up after his first bath time at home!


First car ride!

Off to Pre-School!

My Little Aggie!
Mommy and Eli!

Precious Baby Boy, I see SO much of Jesus in you already.
You are home.

Comments

  1. Megan,
    This made me cry! I am SO happy for you and what the Lord has blessed in your life. Your vision from God sounds just like the one I have had for 2 years now. Elijah is blessed to have a wonderful mother like you and you are blessed to have found him. :)
    With love from Austin,
    Betty xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Megan,

    Not sure if you remember me - from Lufkin way back in middle school. I stumbled on this through fb...my goodness Megan the Lord has truly blessed you abundantly. Your heart and passion for the Lord is so purely evident and seeing God's gracious gift of a son is so encouraging! I'm blown away - God is Good! Thanks for sharing your story :)

    May the Lord continue to reveal Himself to you in such a deep way as you endeavor into motherhood!

    Much love from New Orleans,
    Rachel Davis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh. My. Goodness!!! The Lord is soooo good! You will be an amazing mom to sweet Elijah. So proud of you for stepping out in faith. Prayers for a speedy process! So much joy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is precious! What a blessing for both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my. Megan this is beautiful. Reminds me so much of Kisses from Katie (have you read it? if not, you should know your heart sounds so much like hers! sold out for Jesus!) May God bless you and your new FAMILY <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO encouraged by the full story, Nar! I can't wait to see the man that Elijah grows into. We picked a verse for Olivia from Zech 4:6 "Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, says the Lord of hosts." We pray that she lives her life by the spirit, and you have just provided a tangible example of that. So grateful for you and I hope we get to meet your sweet boy soon!! Maybe in America, or maybe in Africa :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so happy for you! This story completely touched my heart, and it's so exciting to see the way the Lord is using you! Annika Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  8. Megan,
    This brought tears to my eyes! I am so incredibly happy for you, Elijah is seriously beautiful and can tell how much you already love him! I love you so much and cannot wait to meet your baby boy! You are SUCH an inspiration to me. :)
    -Maddy Petty

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Moving to Africa

Well, I wrote up this great informational blog last night, and wouldn't you know... not only did it not post, but it didn't even save. Sooo heres a recap: Yesterday I landed safe and sound with the Hugheys around 7. The airport wait was cramped, hot, humid, and looong, but we made it. First you have to go through immigration, which took about 40 minutes, then we got all of our bags, another 15 minutes, then we waited for customs to check everything we were carrying into Zambia, another 25 minutes. The Zambians shooed me along, but the Hugheys got stuck at baggage check. Unfortunately, with the 6 of them, they had too many bags to carry in. After about thirty more minutes, Erin (the mom) walked out of the airport with some unfortunate news. Every one of their trunks had to stay at the airport where they were opened, searched, and each item counted...for every single one. (we're talking about twenty to twenty five boxes... crazy. But, our amazing Zambian senior staff s

A Humbled Explorer

Today was an incredible day for me. I worked with the Education Department Head here in Zambia as we traveled around to different LCA's bringing them supplies. Because it's the new school year, the cleaning supplies were running out, so we went to several communities--Chilenje, Mtendere, and Kalingalinga--to get cleaning rags, detergent, toilet tissue, wax for the floors, and some soap. Just for your knowledge, it takes a while to get places in Lusaka. First of all, the roads are congested with traffic. Secondly, all the roads aren't paved, especially in the communities, so you are dodging pot holes and people to get down the road. Needless to say, it took a while for us to collect the supplies and drive out to the 3 LCA's we visited. Along the way, I got to know my new coworker a little better. One question I asked him was: did you know you would ever work for an organization like Family Legacy? He answered no and went on to say that after grade 12 he went in