Skip to main content

A loving Father and His humble daughter

The other day I was at the Tree of Life school (Faith Christian Academy), visiting the teachers and checking on uniforms for the children.  I was walking around as I normally do, while hearing, "There's auntie Megan" from the children in their classrooms.  I passed each classroom in both blocks of the school.  As I turned the corner, I saw my sponsored boy, Joseph, down at the end of the walkway.  It's just another normal day so I didn't expect much from him after seeing me.  But I got a beautiful image that surprised, humbled, and comforted me.

Since, I moved here in 2010, Joseph has gone through a long range of emotions.  He has gone from excited to shy to embarrassed to entitled to humbled and back to joyful again.  I have seen him shy away from me in front of his friends, and I'm not going to lie, the rejection hurt a bit.  I've seen him feel like he deserves more because his sponsor lives and works here.  I've seen him sit humbled at church while I rubbed his back during the service.  I've seen him excited to see me when I scoop him up and tell him how much I love him.

But that day, something happened that hasn't happened since July of 2010.  He saw me from down the hallway and just started running.  His shoes kicked up dust while his smile beamed light.  He locked eye contact with me just before he jumped into my widely spread arms.  He cuddled in my neck like there was no other place in the world he would rather be.  And he did this without a thought of who was watching.  Without a worry that he would get teased later.  He just ran.

While I was holding him in my arms, I felt the Lord say,


"THIS is how you should approach me, sweet daughter."

So many days I wonder what other people will think if I take a radical step of faith.
So many mornings I wake up and fix my hair wondering only about my day and about my list of things.
So many nights I fall asleep worried that the Lord wasn't pleased with my actions that day.
So many minutes of my day are filled with doubt, excitement, embarrassment to claim Jesus in a radical way, worry that one day he's going to let me run in my sin, entitled to a better life since I'm sacrificing and living in a 3rd world country, humbled that he chose me.

And all along, he simply says,

"Run to me, my daughter, with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.  Just run."


I love when my heart is radically touched by one sweet moment. It may last for just 30 seconds, but it's 30 good seconds of an image of my God wrapping his arms around his humble daughter.  It's a sweet time that should occur every day, every hour, every minute as we live in this world that is not our own, proclaiming a gospel that was written just for us by a Father who loves us unconditionally.

What a beautiful picture.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Behold, I will send you Elijah...

I have an amazing story to tell you about a little boy. He turned 4 years old this week. He is a sweet, smart, and precious boy who is already displaying the Lord's glory. When he was about a year and 6 months old, he was admitted into the hospital because of malnutrition and abandonment.   An  orphanage stepped in to care for him when no one else could. Overtime, all his friends and the housemothers knew him as a joyful boy—even though his circumstances did not seem joyful.   Although he lived in an orphanage and was taken care of, he didn't have the one-on-one parenting, love, and support he should have had by his birth parents.   He stayed in the orphanage for almost 2 years. During this time, not one family member visited him. I had the pleasure of meeting this sweet boy when I visited an orphanage one weekend in January. He was the happiest one of them all.   He ran and played with a huge smile on his face.   His personality and demeanor was intriguing. E

Moving to Africa

Well, I wrote up this great informational blog last night, and wouldn't you know... not only did it not post, but it didn't even save. Sooo heres a recap: Yesterday I landed safe and sound with the Hugheys around 7. The airport wait was cramped, hot, humid, and looong, but we made it. First you have to go through immigration, which took about 40 minutes, then we got all of our bags, another 15 minutes, then we waited for customs to check everything we were carrying into Zambia, another 25 minutes. The Zambians shooed me along, but the Hugheys got stuck at baggage check. Unfortunately, with the 6 of them, they had too many bags to carry in. After about thirty more minutes, Erin (the mom) walked out of the airport with some unfortunate news. Every one of their trunks had to stay at the airport where they were opened, searched, and each item counted...for every single one. (we're talking about twenty to twenty five boxes... crazy. But, our amazing Zambian senior staff s

A Humbled Explorer

Today was an incredible day for me. I worked with the Education Department Head here in Zambia as we traveled around to different LCA's bringing them supplies. Because it's the new school year, the cleaning supplies were running out, so we went to several communities--Chilenje, Mtendere, and Kalingalinga--to get cleaning rags, detergent, toilet tissue, wax for the floors, and some soap. Just for your knowledge, it takes a while to get places in Lusaka. First of all, the roads are congested with traffic. Secondly, all the roads aren't paved, especially in the communities, so you are dodging pot holes and people to get down the road. Needless to say, it took a while for us to collect the supplies and drive out to the 3 LCA's we visited. Along the way, I got to know my new coworker a little better. One question I asked him was: did you know you would ever work for an organization like Family Legacy? He answered no and went on to say that after grade 12 he went in