Skip to main content

Breaking this Flesh


I started praying 2 days ago that the Lord would start breaking my flesh. My prayer continues even today to be:

"I want to unlearn this world.....Jesus, humble my heart, break my flesh, and restore me to be more of a reflection of you."

What a beautiful vision of a servant--to disregard the flesh on his or her body in order to glorify the Lord more and more. Too bad I'm soaked in the sin of this world. I'm not saying we sinners can't be someone who disregards the things of this world and strive for the things that glorify the Lord, but I am saying that it's not an easy task. I can't say that I've seen the answer of this prayer yet, but I know that each day that passes, more of my flesh is getting destroyed as my eyes are fixed on Jesus.

Today I had the privilege of visiting all of the schools that we currently have up and operating. It was amazing. Although the facilities aren't complete, the Spirit of the Lord is present. He is driving this whole operation. I was sitting in the backseat of the car driving from Chawama and I noticed that Clay took a back road. Well I'm a HUGE fan of back roads--especially ones that avoid downtown traffic. :) I became so focused on which road he was on, trying to remember every turn he took so I could do it by myself next time. We ended up at one of our sites in an area of town called Kanyama. This area is one of the darkest places spiritually in all of Lusaka, and it's amazing that the Lord has not only blessed us with 1 school, but has given the funding for 3!! The Lord is so good. He loves his orphans soooo much.

One of these 3 schools is situated near an area known as John Leing. I remember in 2009 when I came to camp for 2 weeks that I got a group of boys from this same area in my group. It was confusing because John Leing is actually just a small part of Kanyama, but I could never tell the difference. As we were driving through Kanyama today, I was so focused on how Clay was going to drive through the massive ponds of water that I forgot where we were. We stopped at our John Leing site and I fished in my bag for my camera and my notebook. I hadn't even turned around and I heard, "Auntie Megan, it's Auntie MEGAN!!" I look up to find 6 of the boys in my group sprinting towards me. I had to brace myself as they nearly tackled me to the ground. At that moment, a powerful, overwhelming love for them flooded my heart. I looked at each of them with a longing in my heart. I wanted to cradle them in my lap, rock them gently, hug them tightly, and tell them how much Jesus loves them again and again. I asked them a thousand questions about how they felt school had started off and if they had been enjoying it. I'll tell you this, the way they smiled in 2009 was NOT the way they smiled now. Joy literally radiated from them. The Joy of the Lord was so evident in that place.


I know that I am not at all the reflection of my Lord that I want to be, but today the Lord reflected his joy out of these boys and his love out of me. It was an amazing encounter. Even as I drove off, the boys were standing at the edge of the school waving back to me. Man. My Savior is an awesome Lord.

The coolest part of today was that this same joy was evident at every single school we went to. We saw the smiling faces of beautiful orphans who were so thankful that God had given them a place at a wonderful school where they could find peace and joy.

Now that is a reflection of the Lord.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Behold, I will send you Elijah...

I have an amazing story to tell you about a little boy. He turned 4 years old this week. He is a sweet, smart, and precious boy who is already displaying the Lord's glory. When he was about a year and 6 months old, he was admitted into the hospital because of malnutrition and abandonment.   An  orphanage stepped in to care for him when no one else could. Overtime, all his friends and the housemothers knew him as a joyful boy—even though his circumstances did not seem joyful.   Although he lived in an orphanage and was taken care of, he didn't have the one-on-one parenting, love, and support he should have had by his birth parents.   He stayed in the orphanage for almost 2 years. During this time, not one family member visited him. I had the pleasure of meeting this sweet boy when I visited an orphanage one weekend in January. He was the happiest one of them all.   He ran and played with a huge smile on his face.   His personality and demeanor was intriguing. E

Moving to Africa

Well, I wrote up this great informational blog last night, and wouldn't you know... not only did it not post, but it didn't even save. Sooo heres a recap: Yesterday I landed safe and sound with the Hugheys around 7. The airport wait was cramped, hot, humid, and looong, but we made it. First you have to go through immigration, which took about 40 minutes, then we got all of our bags, another 15 minutes, then we waited for customs to check everything we were carrying into Zambia, another 25 minutes. The Zambians shooed me along, but the Hugheys got stuck at baggage check. Unfortunately, with the 6 of them, they had too many bags to carry in. After about thirty more minutes, Erin (the mom) walked out of the airport with some unfortunate news. Every one of their trunks had to stay at the airport where they were opened, searched, and each item counted...for every single one. (we're talking about twenty to twenty five boxes... crazy. But, our amazing Zambian senior staff s

A Humbled Explorer

Today was an incredible day for me. I worked with the Education Department Head here in Zambia as we traveled around to different LCA's bringing them supplies. Because it's the new school year, the cleaning supplies were running out, so we went to several communities--Chilenje, Mtendere, and Kalingalinga--to get cleaning rags, detergent, toilet tissue, wax for the floors, and some soap. Just for your knowledge, it takes a while to get places in Lusaka. First of all, the roads are congested with traffic. Secondly, all the roads aren't paved, especially in the communities, so you are dodging pot holes and people to get down the road. Needless to say, it took a while for us to collect the supplies and drive out to the 3 LCA's we visited. Along the way, I got to know my new coworker a little better. One question I asked him was: did you know you would ever work for an organization like Family Legacy? He answered no and went on to say that after grade 12 he went in