Skip to main content

“The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few."

I want to apologize up front for the random blog you are about to read. It's been over a week since I've written because of how little time I had relaxing this week--so I'm sorry for being so random...

Whew. This week has flown by and I am exhausted. So much happened while Greer was here! One of the biggest things I learned this week was that it is crazy how much you can get done in one day--if you utilize your time and are determined to complete tasks. I have felt very productive, but very tired.

For work this week, I was able to go around and see every one of our schools except one--but I've been there many times before. The children were learning and the teachers were already starting their assessments and enrollments for the new year. Tomorrow they begin the content for the students. It's just so neat to actually be here and watch these things happen. Back in the states, I would get emails and talk on the phone once a month or so with the Zambians, but being here and physically seeing the children in their classrooms and in the CRC's is such a blessing. One of the things we are trying to do is get our LCA's fully funded. The cost per month pays for the rent, utilities, some supplies, and the salaries for the teachers, the coordinator, the security guard and the cleaning lady. When someone can fund a school per month, or groups of people can fund the school, then we can start more. So as of now we have 6 schools, 3 of which are fully funded. I was able to visit all of the adopted LCA's this past week. The opportunities for these facilities are endless. Think about it. If a school is funded, eventually we could get an internet connection at the school, and how neat would it be if those orphaned and vulnerable children who come from the slums of Lusaka, were able to look on the internet at pictures, academic games, and even participate in a pen pal or e-pal type thing with American students.. I can't wait to see what the Lord is going to do with these schools.

Another thing the week held was many many meetings. I was able to meet with all of the senior staff here as well as other select groups of people to hear and see change that is happening. We went out to the Tree of Life every day to see the progress made and we have officially started pouring concrete for the Legacy Center! Traveling around Lusaka all week helped me to get used to some of the roads, so hopefully by June I will be an expert!

After going to the Tree of Life one day, Greer dropped us at the edge of a road and one of the Zambians on our AV team walked Clay and I to a cab. This is when I felt truly Zambian. They walk everywhere. So without big buses, or a vehicle of any kind, Clay and I trekked through the Chainda compound as if we were Zambians ourselves. It was awesome. I love when the change from tourist to local comes... of course we were the only white skinned people for miles around so we didn't look local, but I felt more like local then ever before. :)

Yesterday, after Greer left, Clay and I, along with the social services department, were able to collect bunk beds and mattresses for new children moving into our CRCs! When we arrived at a CRC with the bunk bed, the children were so excited because they knew more people would be moving in! I am convinced that Zambian children are the most beautiful children in the whole world. I haven't hugged or seen one child that I wasn't affected by. I feel like the Lord has given me His eyes for them. I just love them. When we went out in the community to one of our schools, I got out of the car and this little girl- probably around 7 years old- ran out of her house and just smiled from ear to ear at me. As we pulled out of the school, she continued to watch us smiling and waving the whole time. I mean come on. She lives in this unfathomable environment with the most horrible conditions, and yet she's showing this joy that only the Lord could have given her. NOTHING in her world can give her joy except for Jesus Christ. And she had joy. Amazing.

Now that Greer has gone, the dirty work begins :). I expect to see change happen. I expect to see the Lord move DAILY. And I expect to be radically changed. Don't worry. You will hear all about it!

Comments

  1. Megan! I can only imagine how fast you all were moving this past week----lightening speed! I just love every one of these accounts of your new life in "Z"----you have such great comments on what is happening. Love and miss u, dear one! Tell all the Hugheys each of you is being prayed for DAILY!! Can't wait to hear more this week---bless you, Auntie Megan!You know who to love on for me!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Behold, I will send you Elijah...

I have an amazing story to tell you about a little boy. He turned 4 years old this week. He is a sweet, smart, and precious boy who is already displaying the Lord's glory. When he was about a year and 6 months old, he was admitted into the hospital because of malnutrition and abandonment.   An  orphanage stepped in to care for him when no one else could. Overtime, all his friends and the housemothers knew him as a joyful boy—even though his circumstances did not seem joyful.   Although he lived in an orphanage and was taken care of, he didn't have the one-on-one parenting, love, and support he should have had by his birth parents.   He stayed in the orphanage for almost 2 years. During this time, not one family member visited him. I had the pleasure of meeting this sweet boy when I visited an orphanage one weekend in January. He was the happiest one of them all.   He ran and played with a huge smile on his face.   His personality and demeanor was intriguing. E

Moving to Africa

Well, I wrote up this great informational blog last night, and wouldn't you know... not only did it not post, but it didn't even save. Sooo heres a recap: Yesterday I landed safe and sound with the Hugheys around 7. The airport wait was cramped, hot, humid, and looong, but we made it. First you have to go through immigration, which took about 40 minutes, then we got all of our bags, another 15 minutes, then we waited for customs to check everything we were carrying into Zambia, another 25 minutes. The Zambians shooed me along, but the Hugheys got stuck at baggage check. Unfortunately, with the 6 of them, they had too many bags to carry in. After about thirty more minutes, Erin (the mom) walked out of the airport with some unfortunate news. Every one of their trunks had to stay at the airport where they were opened, searched, and each item counted...for every single one. (we're talking about twenty to twenty five boxes... crazy. But, our amazing Zambian senior staff s

A Humbled Explorer

Today was an incredible day for me. I worked with the Education Department Head here in Zambia as we traveled around to different LCA's bringing them supplies. Because it's the new school year, the cleaning supplies were running out, so we went to several communities--Chilenje, Mtendere, and Kalingalinga--to get cleaning rags, detergent, toilet tissue, wax for the floors, and some soap. Just for your knowledge, it takes a while to get places in Lusaka. First of all, the roads are congested with traffic. Secondly, all the roads aren't paved, especially in the communities, so you are dodging pot holes and people to get down the road. Needless to say, it took a while for us to collect the supplies and drive out to the 3 LCA's we visited. Along the way, I got to know my new coworker a little better. One question I asked him was: did you know you would ever work for an organization like Family Legacy? He answered no and went on to say that after grade 12 he went in