Skip to main content

Moving to Africa


Well, I wrote up this great informational blog last night, and wouldn't you know... not only did it not post, but it didn't even save. Sooo heres a recap:

Yesterday I landed safe and sound with the Hugheys around 7. The airport wait was cramped, hot, humid, and looong, but we made it. First you have to go through immigration, which took about 40 minutes, then we got all of our bags, another 15 minutes, then we waited for customs to check everything we were carrying into Zambia, another 25 minutes. The Zambians shooed me along, but the Hugheys got stuck at baggage check. Unfortunately, with the 6 of them, they had too many bags to carry in. After about thirty more minutes, Erin (the mom) walked out of the airport with some unfortunate news. Every one of their trunks had to stay at the airport where they were opened, searched, and each item counted...for every single one. (we're talking about twenty to twenty five boxes... crazy. But, our amazing Zambian senior staff stayed at the airport to collect it all. They did not get to us at the villa until 5:00pm... wow.

Once they arrived, the typical Zambian style assembly line was quickly put into place, and all the trunks were in our villa in no time!! After some unpacking and pizza, we decided to call it a night. Of course my "night" consisted of four hours of sleep, waking up, and another 2 hours of sleep. I woke up this morning around 5:15 and couldn't go back to bed. Sooo I decided to spend some time in the word outside this morning. And what a blessing it was.

The weather was perfect, peaceful, and ideal. As I was listening to Phil Wickham's "You're Beautiful" song I was overwhelmed with a sense of loneliness. I mean, I know there are six other people with me, two adults and four children, but they are a family. I know I am included in that family, but it's still so different. I'm completely alone.. but right when I looked up the wind took the leaves and I can't explain it, but at that time the Lord said, "Megan, I am here...and that's all that matters". I was so humbled and at peace... I encountered God this morning, even though as a sinner I don't deserve it.

It was good that I got so much time in the word this morning, because today was a pretty hard day. We worked on the house pretty much the entire time and we had no electricity for the 6 hottest hours of the day. It was tough. We were all exhausted, sweaty, thirsty, and weak. But the devil can not tear us down.. even without electricity, we have a roof over our heads, a bed to sleep in, and running water to cool us down. Still, such blessings.

For dinner tonight, we went to the indoor mall that was recently finished in Lusaka called Manda Hill. It was huge... HUGE compared to anything else here. We ordered some grilled chicken and french fries. When we were full, we pushed our plates aside without thinking. I left to go to the grocery store quickly, but while I was gone, the reality of the orphaned and vulnerable children's situations sunk in. Erin informed me that a little boy asked to have our leftovers... we barely had anything left over but when she said yes, he scooped as much as he could, as fast as he could, in his hand and said, "Thank You."  This little boy ran up to the table and ate what we wouldn't. Then he told his friend and the friend came to get what was left...such humility swept over all of us. Parker, the nine year old boy, began to cry because it was such a surreal moment.

While this was happening, I walked passed a phone store and I noticed they had an iPhone4 for sell. You will not believe how much the iPhone is sold for here... $1,700.. yes I said one thousand seven hundred US dollars. In sane. My first thought was, "Well no wonder I haven't seen any Zambians with an iPhone".  While we were eating ice cream with the boys, Erin and I talked about the different dynamics at Manda Hill. People that come to spend money and people that come to look at what they can't afford. Two men stopped in front of us, I looked up and of course, one had the iPhone 4 and one had the iPhone 3G (it costs $1,550). So much for thinking that there is no way anyone would spend that kind of money to have this phone. It truly sunk in then. A little boy scrapped the leftovers of someone else's meal, while two men were playing on a phone that cost them almost $2000.

I calculated it. The cost of the iPhone could pay for one of our orphaned children's families food for over a year and a half...
I'm humbled. this is why God loves these children so much... because no one else does. No one else turns an eye to look at them. They shoo them away as if they are nothing, a burden and a body in the way of their daily lives.

I'm here Lord, and you have sent me. Please pray that I would feel for these children like the Lord feels, and that I would simply be a vessel for His work.

Comments

  1. Megan!! I'm in tears as I read this!! Oh how I wish I could be with you but KNOW that I am praying for you everyday!! I love you and your obedience is incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan, so glad you're listening to God and that He is LORD over your heart! May He continue to bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan,
    Thanks for taking time to update! We loved reading about your first day on the ground and being able to picture where y'all are and what you are seeing and experiencing. Your obedience to the Lord's call is encouraging; please keep sharing your stories. We're praying for all of you!
    Taylor & Amanda Smith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Megan,
    How my heart goes so quickly back to the beautiful faces of those precious children in Zambia. What a blessing you are going to be to those kids!! I pray that as you have those lonely days, that it will be then that you feel the presence of the Lord even stronger and that He will show you the lonliness in the hearts of these kids who have lost everything, but yet find great joy, hope, and peace in Him. May your time in Zambia be so impactful, that you will never be the same again!
    Blessings!! Allison Rhodes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Precious Megan!! Good thing I read this early this morning BEFORE putting my makeup on----I would have cried it all off!!What a sweet account of your heart and how you observe the world that the Lord has called you to be in for this season of life. With Him by your side through it all, your faith will grow mighty and strong---love you and will be praying for you, dear one!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Behold, I will send you Elijah...

I have an amazing story to tell you about a little boy. He turned 4 years old this week. He is a sweet, smart, and precious boy who is already displaying the Lord's glory. When he was about a year and 6 months old, he was admitted into the hospital because of malnutrition and abandonment.   An  orphanage stepped in to care for him when no one else could. Overtime, all his friends and the housemothers knew him as a joyful boy—even though his circumstances did not seem joyful.   Although he lived in an orphanage and was taken care of, he didn't have the one-on-one parenting, love, and support he should have had by his birth parents.   He stayed in the orphanage for almost 2 years. During this time, not one family member visited him. I had the pleasure of meeting this sweet boy when I visited an orphanage one weekend in January. He was the happiest one of them all.   He ran and played with a huge smile on his face.   His personality and demeanor was intriguing. E

A Humbled Explorer

Today was an incredible day for me. I worked with the Education Department Head here in Zambia as we traveled around to different LCA's bringing them supplies. Because it's the new school year, the cleaning supplies were running out, so we went to several communities--Chilenje, Mtendere, and Kalingalinga--to get cleaning rags, detergent, toilet tissue, wax for the floors, and some soap. Just for your knowledge, it takes a while to get places in Lusaka. First of all, the roads are congested with traffic. Secondly, all the roads aren't paved, especially in the communities, so you are dodging pot holes and people to get down the road. Needless to say, it took a while for us to collect the supplies and drive out to the 3 LCA's we visited. Along the way, I got to know my new coworker a little better. One question I asked him was: did you know you would ever work for an organization like Family Legacy? He answered no and went on to say that after grade 12 he went in