Skip to main content

Stronghold


"The LORD is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble. Those who know your name will trust in you, for you, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek you" Psalm 9:9-10

"The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold." Psalm 18:2

Yesterday was a tough day for me. I woke up, got dressed, had breakfast, went to camp, stacked chairs, lined up kids, ran around getting Americans assigned to their kids, helped get bead necklaces, danced up top to help the Americans with the songs, ate lunch, danced some more, laid on a white table waiting for the end of the day, and walked to the hill for worship. Around the time of laying on the table, I started to feel very convicted. my day was full of running here and there, doing this and that, helping here and helping there (which is my job on summer staff), but I did all these things without a servants heart. I just did them to do them. It struck me during worship, that here I am in Africa, a place that has captured my heart, and yet, I am just running through the motions. The days are passing so quickly, at camp, and it's easy to get in a routine.  It looks like I'm doing what i'm supposed to be doing--with a great heart... but my actions are speaking one thing and my mind is speaking another.

I can't even begin to tell you how many selfish thoughts went through my head yesterday... thoughts that weren't connected to the glory of the Lord. Things that made me frustrated, or made me think that I could do a better job, or that I should do this or do that so this person would think i'm awesome. It makes me sick, but its SO subtle. I didn't even realize the intensity of my thoughts until the end of the day... and it's been going on for about three days now. This is when I realized how cruel and how good Satan is at getting under the surface. He starts with one thought and he can back away while my flesh runs with it. I end up turning myself inside out thinking of all these different possibilities, and he can sit back and watch me destroy myself. He's just so good at placing evil or temptation in peoples lives.
When I returned home, I get out my bible and journal and immediately began talking to the Lord... I landed on the two verses that started this post. How amazing is that. The LORD is my stronghold, he will NEVER forsake those who seek him. He is a refuge for those oppressed by the devils lies. Ahhh how beautiful is that to rest in? I just wept humbly in the Lord's presence and he said to me, "You are my child--why are you putting other things before me? Trust me... I am your rock"

Wow. That's powerful. It humbles me because even though I am running through the motions of the day, he's still using me as a vessel, he will still fulfill his purpose. I can just choose to live in it, or just walk beside it... it's my choice.
I woke this morning knowing that i want to choose life IN him...

I thank my Lord for revealing this to me so that now I know it's a conscious effort to fight the devil's lies and to capture the life and joy he's offering me here.

Comments

  1. i love how honest and humble this entry was. the truth is no matter how hard we are running after the Lord, the devil is always prowling like a lion waiting to pounce!

    great job noticing it and facing it. the greatest thing we can do in response is turn back to the Lord, just as Jesus did!

    love your heart and love following your journey!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Behold, I will send you Elijah...

I have an amazing story to tell you about a little boy. He turned 4 years old this week. He is a sweet, smart, and precious boy who is already displaying the Lord's glory. When he was about a year and 6 months old, he was admitted into the hospital because of malnutrition and abandonment.   An  orphanage stepped in to care for him when no one else could. Overtime, all his friends and the housemothers knew him as a joyful boy—even though his circumstances did not seem joyful.   Although he lived in an orphanage and was taken care of, he didn't have the one-on-one parenting, love, and support he should have had by his birth parents.   He stayed in the orphanage for almost 2 years. During this time, not one family member visited him. I had the pleasure of meeting this sweet boy when I visited an orphanage one weekend in January. He was the happiest one of them all.   He ran and played with a huge smile on his face.   His personality and demeanor was intriguing. E

Moving to Africa

Well, I wrote up this great informational blog last night, and wouldn't you know... not only did it not post, but it didn't even save. Sooo heres a recap: Yesterday I landed safe and sound with the Hugheys around 7. The airport wait was cramped, hot, humid, and looong, but we made it. First you have to go through immigration, which took about 40 minutes, then we got all of our bags, another 15 minutes, then we waited for customs to check everything we were carrying into Zambia, another 25 minutes. The Zambians shooed me along, but the Hugheys got stuck at baggage check. Unfortunately, with the 6 of them, they had too many bags to carry in. After about thirty more minutes, Erin (the mom) walked out of the airport with some unfortunate news. Every one of their trunks had to stay at the airport where they were opened, searched, and each item counted...for every single one. (we're talking about twenty to twenty five boxes... crazy. But, our amazing Zambian senior staff s

A Humbled Explorer

Today was an incredible day for me. I worked with the Education Department Head here in Zambia as we traveled around to different LCA's bringing them supplies. Because it's the new school year, the cleaning supplies were running out, so we went to several communities--Chilenje, Mtendere, and Kalingalinga--to get cleaning rags, detergent, toilet tissue, wax for the floors, and some soap. Just for your knowledge, it takes a while to get places in Lusaka. First of all, the roads are congested with traffic. Secondly, all the roads aren't paved, especially in the communities, so you are dodging pot holes and people to get down the road. Needless to say, it took a while for us to collect the supplies and drive out to the 3 LCA's we visited. Along the way, I got to know my new coworker a little better. One question I asked him was: did you know you would ever work for an organization like Family Legacy? He answered no and went on to say that after grade 12 he went in