Skip to main content

My New Job...

The Lord is incredible. My heart truly connects to these schools and these children. This past Tuesday we officially opened the Tree of Life school. Cynthia, one of the Americans here who is helping the Zambians cook our meals, came with me all day to help the teachers get their classrooms in pristine condition. She's also a teacher so we worked on these classrooms as if they were ours. It was amazing--the posters, the color, the desks, dry erase boards, name tags, etc.

We were extremely dirty and cold by the end of the day though. :) The students were told to have their uniforms on by 1400 (2pm) so we could be ready for the video crew to come film.

We went down to check on them and Cynthia ended up staying down on the house side of the Tree of Life, while I went to stay with the teachers. We took some pictures and waited for the kids to get ready. Greer drove up, we met Enoch the Department Head of Education here in Zambia and I told him how hard these teachers had been working for these classrooms. Personally, I was completely humbled the entire day... you should have seen the teachers faces when we put desks in their rooms... new, nice, and shiny desks. I had SO many more things at my school in Dallas, and yet they were screaming and rejoicing for 8 desks. Ridiculously humbling. I remember sitting in America wishing I had more colored paper, or more resources, or more bulletin boards for my walls, or nicer books for my classroom library and never even really thanking the LORD for having 300 books, 30 desks, 5 white boards, a projector, carpet and a huge teacher desk. It just makes me realize how much I SHOULD have been thanking the LORD.

Anyways, the kids start getting ready and this is the best part... they all came out of their homes single file, singing, "Come and see, come and see what the lord has done, come and see what the lord has done." The kids sang all the way to the school side of the Tree of Life (3 minute walk) and lined up on the front slab. When they all lined up and the head teacher welcomed them to the new school, the tears began... and never stopped. The LORD has emotionally connected me to these children and these schools. It's such a wonderful blessing to watch people, who have never had anything close to this, receive a huge gift from the LORD. I was humbled before these children and my LORD... only HE could make something so huge happen for these children. And although it seems too good to be true, it's so so so easy for him... he longs to see his children loved and taken care of. I'm just extremely blessed to be a part of it. Sooo the school is NOW OPEN!!! :) And the beautiful children, including my little Joseph, is attending an amazing classroom with an awesome teacher who loves him.

Since then, these past two days have been a change of perspective for me. Greer, Pastor Rafael and I drove around to the six Lifeway Christian Academies (Family Legacy schools for the sponsored children). We saw the lay out, measured the rooms, and determined how many and what size tables we would get for each room. It was such a neat experience to be in the field again. We drove through the poverty and arrived at the gated schools. All except for one school are houses that we made into schools; so the facilities are small, but the difference between LCA's and community schools is still tremendous. I learned that we have taken a huge leap of faith and that the LORD is the only one that can bring the funding we need, because it's going to be very expensive as a whole--however, these kids will be dramatically changed if they receive the education they need. Yesterday evening I met a girl outside one of the LCA's. She spoke very good english and when I pointed this out to her, she said, "Auntie Megan, I am in 7th grade, I have to be able to speak English!" Just so you know, in 7th grade the children have to take a test that is very very difficult for kids that receive a broken education. However, if the children receive proper education, and they pass, they have a very high chance to finish school altogether and live a life full of joy. When I heard her say 7th grade, I said, "Dear one, have you taken your test??" and she lit up and said, "YES Auntie Megan, I did and I passed!!" My heart moved. I am sooo joyful that she wanted to pass and wants to finish school SOOO bad, and now she's on her way! :)

I can't wait for thousands of children to have the same reaction when they get the education they deserve... and by GOD's grace, and HIS love, they will. I'm blessed to watch it happen. I thank my Savior for even considering me to be a part of his movement.. I am humbled by His work.


Comments

  1. Suddenly, I too am very humbled and thankful for all the materials I have to teach children...thanks for the gentle reminder. I plan to share this with my students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan, you know that as a teacher myself, I so connect with your words. What an exciting thing to be there to work on the schools! I can't wait til they get all the textbooks that have been donated and the 30+ boxes of stuff I collected from my school. It will be like Christmas all over again! I can't wait to see you girls and the school! 10 days!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, chokes me up! absolutely amazing!!! God is so BIG

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Behold, I will send you Elijah...

I have an amazing story to tell you about a little boy. He turned 4 years old this week. He is a sweet, smart, and precious boy who is already displaying the Lord's glory. When he was about a year and 6 months old, he was admitted into the hospital because of malnutrition and abandonment.   An  orphanage stepped in to care for him when no one else could. Overtime, all his friends and the housemothers knew him as a joyful boy—even though his circumstances did not seem joyful.   Although he lived in an orphanage and was taken care of, he didn't have the one-on-one parenting, love, and support he should have had by his birth parents.   He stayed in the orphanage for almost 2 years. During this time, not one family member visited him. I had the pleasure of meeting this sweet boy when I visited an orphanage one weekend in January. He was the happiest one of them all.   He ran and played with a huge smile on his face.   His personality and demeanor was intriguing. E

Moving to Africa

Well, I wrote up this great informational blog last night, and wouldn't you know... not only did it not post, but it didn't even save. Sooo heres a recap: Yesterday I landed safe and sound with the Hugheys around 7. The airport wait was cramped, hot, humid, and looong, but we made it. First you have to go through immigration, which took about 40 minutes, then we got all of our bags, another 15 minutes, then we waited for customs to check everything we were carrying into Zambia, another 25 minutes. The Zambians shooed me along, but the Hugheys got stuck at baggage check. Unfortunately, with the 6 of them, they had too many bags to carry in. After about thirty more minutes, Erin (the mom) walked out of the airport with some unfortunate news. Every one of their trunks had to stay at the airport where they were opened, searched, and each item counted...for every single one. (we're talking about twenty to twenty five boxes... crazy. But, our amazing Zambian senior staff s

A Humbled Explorer

Today was an incredible day for me. I worked with the Education Department Head here in Zambia as we traveled around to different LCA's bringing them supplies. Because it's the new school year, the cleaning supplies were running out, so we went to several communities--Chilenje, Mtendere, and Kalingalinga--to get cleaning rags, detergent, toilet tissue, wax for the floors, and some soap. Just for your knowledge, it takes a while to get places in Lusaka. First of all, the roads are congested with traffic. Secondly, all the roads aren't paved, especially in the communities, so you are dodging pot holes and people to get down the road. Needless to say, it took a while for us to collect the supplies and drive out to the 3 LCA's we visited. Along the way, I got to know my new coworker a little better. One question I asked him was: did you know you would ever work for an organization like Family Legacy? He answered no and went on to say that after grade 12 he went in